PERSONAL AND OTHER INFORMATION COLLECTED BY PETS
Pets collects personal information that is voluntarily provided by you when you explore the Pets website, make a donation, upload a photograph or story about your own pet ownership, purchase merchandise, become a member Patriot, or communicate with us by mail, telephone or electronically. The type of personal information we collect and maintain may include:
- Your name, mailing address, and/or email address
- Telephone number
- Date of birth
- Purchase/donation history with Pets
- Animal ownership/interest preferences
- Twitter, Facebook, blog and/or email communications from you
- Photographs and/or stories about pet ownership, if provided by you
- Proof of Military and/or Veteran Status (including any information contained on your military ID, Proof of Discharge, or other identifying documentation)
We may collect information through technology for routine system administration purposes, to make our Website more interesting and useful to you, or to manage content delivery. We use this information to understand which areas of our Website are most appealing or least appealing, or to deliver content that is specific to your country or area of residence.
We reserve the right to collect, distribute and use your personal information, without consent where required or permitted by law.
WHY DOES PETS COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Pets collects personal information for one or more of the following reasons:
- To provide you with the information, products or services you have requested, including processing your payment or donation to Pets
- To better understand you and to allow us to serve you better through more detailed information, enhanced customer service, and directed Pets promotional efforts of particular interest
- To develop and encourage public support for the Pets mission, such as through the posting of photographs and pet ownership stories and testimonials submitted by you
- To properly investigate and respond to any challenges, questions or concerns you may have about our service or our Website
- To determine your eligibility for Patriot membership.
WHAT KIND OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES PETS DISCLOSE, TO WHOM AND WHY?
Pets may disclose your personal information to third parties as follows:
- To Third Parties To Perform Processing and Other Specialized Services: At times, Pets may use outside organizations to perform specialized services for Pets such as, but not limited to, credit card processing and order fulfillment companies. These service providers are only given the information needed to perform those services and they are bound contractually to protect the privacy and security of your information and to limit the use of your information to the service being provided.
- To Third Parties in the Event of Legal Reasons: We advise you that we may disclose personal information to the government or other legal or regulatory authorities (i) if so ordered by a court of law, or (ii) for other legal reasons, such as (a) to comply with legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order; (b) to protect Pets’ rights and property; (c) to investigate reports of fraud or of Users sending material using a false email address or Users sending harassing, threatening, or abusive messages; (d) to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our Website; or (e) in emergencies, such as when we believe someone’s physical safety is at risk. In some cases, disclosure may be required by law to be without notice to you.
- To a Third Party in the Event of a Significant Transaction or Other Event: In the case of any significant transaction or event involving Pets such as, by way of example, a sale, merger, amalgamation, financing, re-organization, liquidation, or insolvency, other parties to the transaction and their professional advisors may need to have access to Pets’ various databases as part of the due diligence process. In this event, Pets would only provide such access under terms of a strict confidentiality agreement. Also, upon completion of the transaction or event, your personal information would be transferred to Pets’ successor-in-interest to be used for the purposes for which it was collected.
HOW LONG DOES PETS RETAIN PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We keep your information for a period reasonably necessary to meet the purposes for which it was collected or to comply with any legal requirements, including statutory retention periods. When your personal information is no longer required for a specific purpose or legal requirement, it will be erased from our records.
WHAT SECURITY MEASURES DOES PETS HAVE IN PLACE TO SAFEGUARD PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Pets has implemented physical, electronic and administrative measures to protect your information from error, loss or unauthorized access. For example, we use industry-standard efforts, such as passwords and firewalls, to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information contained on our computer systems. In addition, our employees and any third parties we use are contractually bound to protect the confidentiality of your information and access is restricted to those with a need to know the information to carry out the identified purpose.
WHERE IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION LOCATED?
Non-personal or aggregated information is information that cannot be associated with or traced back to a specific person. When Users browse our Website, for example, we gather information about the number of Users who are viewing each page so that we can learn what features generate the most interest. We also use this data, both aggregated and personally identifiable, to personalize and enhance your onsite experience by displaying content that we believe will be of interest to you and to deliver content that is specific to your interest. We may disclose anonymous, aggregated information about our Website to third parties.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
Users may, through hypertext or other computer “links,” gain access to other websites on the Internet which are not operated or monitored by Pets. Pets is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Pets of the website or content linked to. PETS ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY MATERIAL OUTSIDE OF THE WEBSITE OPERATED BY PETS, INCLUDING ANY WEBSITE WHICH MAY BE ACCESSED THROUGH A LINK ON A PETS-OPERATED WEBSITE. Unless otherwise indicated at a Pets-operated website, Pets is not sponsored by or affiliated with the linked website, and trademarks used in connection with linked website are not trademarks of Pets. Pets specifically disclaims responsibility for any inadvertent viewing by a minor of any material intended for adults on a website accessed through use of a linked website.
HOW TO CONTROL HOW YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED, USED AND DISCLOSED
You have control over how we collect, use and disclose your personal information. Any comments, questions or changes regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information shall be directed to a Pets representative, as described below.
You may choose not to receive email from us, even after granting permission, by unsubscribing. Instructions on how to unsubscribe from emails that are not related to processing of your transactions with us are included in each such email.
A request for a copy of the personal information we keep about you, depending on the laws of your country, must be made in writing giving details with which Pets can identify you. Information will be furnished in accordance with applicable law.
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS OR ACCESSING OR UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION:
Please note that certain information is required by Pets to process payment and fulfill any orders or donations that you may place through the Website, and if you withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information for these purposes, then Pets will not be able to fulfill your orders or process donations.