What we do
Pets for Patriots helps United States military veterans adopt a new pet friend while giving the most overlooked shelter dogs and cats loving homes. Learn more about how our program works.
We offer veterans various benefits to promote the human-animal bond, reduce surrender back to shelters, and make lifetime pet guardianship more affordable. These include ‘welcome home’ contributions towards pet food and other basics, as well as access to high-quality affordable veterinary care and discounts on various pet goods and services.
Pets for Patriots is not involved in the acquisition or training of service animals, or the adoption of retired Military War Dogs.
Why our work is needed:
Every day 20 veterans take their own lives. Every eight seconds a dog or cat is put to death for lack of anyone to adopt them. Companion pet adoption saves two lives.
What makes us different:
We are the only nationally operating nonprofit that:
- Serves veterans at all career stages and from all armed forces, from WWII to active duty
- Focuses on the most overlooked sheltered animals
- Addresses surrender prevention by making pet guardianship more affordable for our nation’s veterans
What makes us special:
- Governance by a strong, independent Board with industry leaders across military, government relations, finance, marketing, sales, media, animal behavior, and defense
- Single national headquarters ensures program integrity, and consistency across operations, processes, brand and messaging
- Commitment to financial transparency and accountability, including annual independent audits even when not legally required
- Strong demand for our program from communities across the country due to our demonstrable proof of concept over thousands of veteran-pet adoptions
We are an IRS-recognized nonprofit organization:
Pets for Patriots, Inc. is a registered 501(c)3 charitable organization dedicated to bringing pets and people together in a lifelong bond of mutual friendship, loyalty, and love. Tax ID 27-1082210. Proud national charity in the Combined Federal Campaign, CFC 49553.